Monday, July 12, 2010

Whole wheat spaghetti with red mullet ragout


I admit it, I am a sucker for pretty things and the other day the beautiful red, pink pearliness of these red mullet filets caught my eye. I just threw them into my cart without a second thought, until I saw them again on Friday and wondered what to do with them.


F is not wild about red mullet per se and I knew all those little fish bones would be a problem with my four year old. I could make fish soup, but the heat in my kitchen quickly persuaded me not to. Or I could make pasta, which is always a welcome dish.



As it was, we got sidetracked by a million things and ended up having our dinner once the kids were in bed. It was excellent, but then again maybe it was the ice cold prosecco we had with the pasta or just the rare company of each other minus the kids that made it exceptionally good!

Ingredients
10 small red mullet filets
2 leeks
6 ripe tomatoes
olive oil
salt
2 small dried chili peppers
350gr. whole wheat spaghetti (or any other kind of pasta you like)

Slice the leeks and saute in a little olive oil until soft. In the meantime, chop the tomatoes into small chunks and bring a pot of water to a boil. Take leeks out of the pan, add a little oil and cook the filets quickly on both sides. Take out. Put the leeks back into the pan and throw in the tomatoes and let soften. Add a little salt and the chili peppers in flakes. Add the fish filets, cover and let cook for about 10 minutes on low heat stirring once in a while. Cook the spaghetti very al dente, drain it, throw it into the pan and mix quickly, making sure it stays al dente.                                 


Buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a suggestion, opinion or your own experience. I love hearing from you.