Friday, January 18, 2013

Honey poppy seed dressing

 
 
 
Maybe I should change my blog's name to Nuts about vinaigrette.
 
Maybe I should start posting a vinaigrette recipe for every day of the year. "365 dressings for a healthier 2013". Whaddya think?
 
Maybe I should just shut up make something else.
 
But I feel like I finally understand what Brenda, Elvis, Willie and the Pet Shop Boys were talking about. I just can't seem to get this stuff off of my mind or my salad.
 
I get home from the office and there it is, sitting in the corner of my kitchen, that big, white book beckoning me. Before I know it I am flipping through those pages, fingers trembling, cursing myself for not using the ribbon bookmark that was purposely sewn into the binding for just this purpose. I need more, I need to find yet another way to make my evening salad even more delectable than yesterday's. There are just so many, I can't stop myself!
 
And so, until I get rid of this addiction and start publishing something you can actually chew rather then surreptitiously lick off your finger from an empty bowl while you are filling the dish washer, you get yet another from me.
 
 
 
 
Ingredients
1/4 cup honey
2 tbsp cider vinegar (or any other kind of fruit vinegar)
1 small shallot, minced
2 tbsp mustard (the book suggests Dijon, I used an estragon-based one)
1 tsp poppy seeds
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
 
If you are using a food processor, first mince the shallot and then add all the ingredients minus the poppy seeds and run until creamy. When the dressing is ready, add the poppy seeds and give a good last mix with a spatula making sure all the honey is mixed in as opposed to stuck at the bottom of the bowl.
If you make this by hand, mince the shallot and then mix all the ingredients together (poppy seeds included) minus the olive oil, which you will add in at the whisking until you obtain an emulsion.

4 comments:

  1. I'm always up for a good new vinaigrette recipe and have bookmarked this and your previous one - both look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That one is delightful! I first tasted a poppy seed dressing at Neiman's in Dallas and was hooked! Here I am exploring the ones made with molasses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never put poppy seeds into a dressing before. But like you, I love to make my own dressings - at least you know what's gone into them! xx

    ReplyDelete

Leave a suggestion, opinion or your own experience. I love hearing from you.